Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mentor

Rhyme: onions help you digest by letting out gas

It's been looong! What does it matter? I'm probably the only one reading this supposed blog anyway.

The definition of my title - Mentor: A wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
I guess in my case, it's very different. I'd probably define it as: Events or people who make a permanent effect in life.

My dad asked me, who's your mentor in your life? I had to think think think and think, then I got myself a good answer. A long one too. You sure you want to read on?

I've realized over the years that friends, be it adult or teenager, often leave. Permanently. Of course, they don't intend to, it just happens. Most of them I still see, but we're not as close as we used to be. As I got older and into the whole depressing stage of life, which I've gotten over by now fortunately, the issue always seemed to be the fact that I have no close friends. I cannot point out a single friend that I can say has been through life with me or a friend that I can truly and sincerely call my best friend. I always get very envious when I see how some people will always have someone. Whenever they're bored, there's always someone there to call out. Whenever they're hurt there's always someone they can call and will drop everything else to comfort them. Sometimes, I ask God why. Can there really be a reason for me to go through these feelings?

Finally, God answered me. Yes. Of course there is. There's always a reason. The things that have happened, all those friends I "lost", they've all played such a big part in shaping me to be the person I am today. My dad asked again, I want to know who made you become the person you are today? Partially wrong question. It should've been, I want to know who or what made you become the person you are today?

I've been in the Girl's Brigade for 10 years now. 11 in 2007. All the time, I hardly ever have someone the same age as me. They come and go. There are 4 different age groups; I'm always either the elder one or the younger one of that section. So, you can imagine, different "generations" of girls throughout my 10 years there. This also means, friends who come and go. And all the time, God's shaping me. All the different girls and officers throughout the years show me the different types of people I have to deal with. Also, different people who teach me important things even though they only remain with me for a short while.

The Girl's Brigade is only one part of my life. Other than that, its school, church, and family. (That's in no particular order by the way) School, so many things. From a Chinese primary school to an all english christian based system. I don't even talk to anyone from my primary school anymore, but the experiences I can never forget. I can even point out the areas in my life where some of these happenings have changed me. Now, I've been in 2 different centers. Both using the same all english christian based syllabus, but soooo different. Being christian based, there's bound to be a religious subject - Bible. It's not just Bible knowledge. Way more than that. It has thought me so much and also changed my view of christianity tremendously. The knowledge I have of christianity, the relationship, the Bible, the faith, a big part of it came from that one subject. Of course the people in school had a part in my life too =)

Church, little things here and there. Met close friends from there. Of course, they left. Unintentionally. Played a huge part in making me me. Sometimes, I wish I never had to leave the previous church where I had friends my age I somewhat grew up with. Still see them, once in a blue moon.

Family will always be family. What more can I say? If I did, it'll have to be a different post. Argh, no way I'm writing another post! Too much. Just think FAMILY and you'll know. NO need me to type out another long winded post =P

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ EVERYTHING, READ THIS! IT'S SHORT, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT!
So there you go, events and people made me who I am today. Though I may not have a definite mentor or best friend, I have sooo many different things that definitely cover that part. So what if people leave me. I learn, I appreciate, you leave, I learn more. Somehow, I have a feeling that even though I realized my life is different from others, there's more for me to discover. More of God's will for me. It's gonna be big, very big. So bring it on! God is good. He does things in different ways.

No comments: